Flora Sandes

During my second visit to the Imperial War Museum I made a discovery that I never of in my knowledge of the history of war and the military.
I came across a side-arm or handgun (picture below), belonging to a woman by the name of Flora Sandes.
Flora Sandes was the only woman in the conflict of world war one to serve as a regular solider which was uncommon in those times. Originally a volunteer with the St. Johns Ambulance she joined the Serbian Army in the confusion of the war.
During the years in service she rose through the ranks as a soldier before being wounded by a hand grenade during combat. Having received the highest declaration in the Serbian army the Order of the Karađorđe's Star at the same time being promoted to the rank of Sergeant Major. Due to her injuries she was no longer fit for combat and resided to run a hospital during the remainder of World War One. She was commissioned as an Officer and being the very first woman to become an Officer in the army before leaving the army in 1922.
I found the discovery to be something very interesting to me as I did not a woman had served and fought during war, believing it all to be men fighting on the lines. This information would be something interesting to include into my final piece as people who have some knowledge of war would find this an amazing discover as I thought when I first found out about this information.


No comments:

Post a Comment